Tuesday 18 September 2012

Aspirin Mask

The aspirin mask is probably one of the most famous home remedies used to treat acne. (Check out Michelle Phan's demonstration of how to prepare the aspirin mask) I have been using the aspirin mask on and off for a few years and I always like the soft and smooth feeling that I get after washing the mixture of crushed aspirin and cleansing cream off my face. After using it for so long, I am actually very curious behind how aspirin actually works on the skin to provide that smooth feeling that I get each time I use the aspirin mask and so here’s what I gathered from the book “Can You Get Hooked On Lip Balm?”

What is the Aspirin used for?
Aspirin helps to relieve minor aches and pains, reduce fever, has anti-inflammatory properties.

Active ingredient in Aspirin
The active ingredient in aspirin is known as acetylsalicylic acid. Acetylsalicylic acid is being transformed in to salicylic acid when it is broken down by our digestive system. Salicylic is a form of BHA (beta hydroxyl acid) and it can help to slough off dead skin when applied topically.

The book, “Can You Get Hooked On Lip Balm?”, suggested that when we put crushed aspirin on our face, we are delivering acetylsalicylic acid to the skin and not salicylic acid. It also carried on mentioning that in the process of mixing the aspirin tablet with water, part of the acetylsalicylic acid might be converted to salicylic acid, but the dosage applied to our skin is probably not of the optimum dosage. (Note: Aspirin is different from Panadol, so it doesn't work if you use Panadol because the main ingredient in Panadol is paracetemol)

My personal observations
I am not a chemist and I have no idea how much percentage of one aspirin tablet actually converts into salicylic acid, but I really do notice a decrease in the redness of my acne after applying the acne mask. And perhaps due to the grainy texture of the aspirin pills, it provides exfoliation when I gently rub it on my face during the process of washing the mask off.

I am not sure how the aspirin mask would fair if it is put in comparison with other products that contain BHA or AHA (alpha hydroxyl acid), but for a home remedy, I felt that the aspirin mask provided a good job in subsiding mild to moderate acne. However, despite the benefits of the aspirin mask, I feel that it cannot replace a proper skin care regime. 

If you are having active acne currently, I would suggest you to be very gentle when you wash the aspirin mask off because the grainy texture of the crushed aspirin might scratch your skin (and that’s not a nice feeling)

However, if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin that has been dried out by acne products, then I would suggest that you skip the aspirin mask because the aspirin mask can further irritate your skin.  In this case, the main issue would be to calm the skin first before moving on to further acne remedies. That would be another post for another time ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment